Monday, July 2, 2018

Aging Before My Time


“It’s really making me age before my time.”

A short while back a new patient said: “It’s really making me age before my time”, and I thought about the images of “age” as he perceived.  His definition of age meant manifesting traits that made him seem older or breaking down. I understood – he was having a harder time keeping up with his life because of his hearing. 

Age is just a number.  It marks time. As an adult, your lifestyle doesn’t necessarily have to be defined by your age – if your health allows, at any age you can dance a jig or sit in solidarity. You can socialize with friends and family or you can be a loner in quiet. I have a five year old patient and I have a 104 year old patient.  The need to be connected to sound and life is just as important for both.  My job is to make sure that change in your hearing doesn’t change the way you live your life.

Many view hearing loss as a sign of aging and if they acknowledge the change they are acquiescing to a shortcoming. I wonder how many felt that way when they got their reading glasses or perhaps those people simply stopped reading.  Not likely.  More than 50% of those with hearing loss are under the age of 50.  When I was a young girl, I would have said 50 was old…but now at nearly 50, it’s just a number, and I am one of the 50% with hearing loss.  Just like me, this patient did not want changes in his hearing to lead to a decline in personal relationships, activities, and even cognitive processing.  Regardless of the number of years you have lived on earth, if you have a desire to stay connected, involved, independent and confident, you owe it to yourself to get your hearing evaluated and treat the changes in your hearing so that you can keep up with YOUR LIFE.

“There is a fountain of youth; it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of the people you love.  When you learn to tap the source, you will truly have defeated age.” – Sophia Loren.

For more information about hearing health and hearing aids in Jacksonville, FL visit our website at www.gilliomaudiology.com

No comments:

Post a Comment